Belling the cat of complexity (was: Ship it with Squeak)

Paul Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Fri Jun 30 12:36:07 UTC 2000

Stephan Rudlof wrote:
> [Great ideas of using Squeak to make an "IndustrialStrength" code in a Squeak namespace using existing Squeak tools.]

> "Göran Hultgren" wrote:
> [Great elaborations on the concept.]

These ideas are superb. This sounds like a good approach towards
building something reliable using Squeak.

The work being done with PocketSmalltalk for Squeak sounds somewhat
similar to this approach. It seems like they are working out many of
these issues because of their need to maintain a separate set of
"PalmStrength" Smalltalk classes.

Note that Smalltalk requires some resources to run which are not
normally thought of as code. These include bitmaps, sounds, and fonts.
They also include some things that could be generated by code but whose
code origins may be lost -- like dictionaries of color mappings. In
order to make this "IndustrialStrength" namespace complete, there needs
to be some way to include such resources in the namespace (along with
licensing information to avoid or flag for example the Microsoft font
license issue.) There needs to be enough information about these
resources that they can be at least isolated and understood as specific
unbuildable objects, or ideally they need to be tied to code that
regenerates them (for Dictionaries) or imports them from external files
or hex representations (for bitmaps or sounds or fonts).

All in all, your ideas sound like a good approach towards using the
power of Squeak we have to bootstrap something even better. Thanks for
the great ideas.

-Paul Fernhout
Kurtz-Fernhout Software
Creators of the Garden with Insight(TM) garden simulator
http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com