Belling the cat of complexity (was: Ship it with Squeak)

Göran Hultgren gohu at rocketmail.com
Fri Jun 30 06:57:29 UTC 2000

Hi all!

--- Stephan Rudlof <sr at evolgo.de> wrote:
[SNIP]
> > Later, after this stable base existed, one could add all sorts of bells
> > and whistles -- in a modular fashion.
>
> What about realizing this building from scratch by using namespaces
> (Environments, btw: What's their status?):
> - building a sub system *inside* Squeak in its own namespace named e.g.
> 'IndustrialStrength',
> - modularizing it by creating sub-namespaces,
> - move Classes/methods one after each other from the fat to
> 'IndustrialStrength'.
>
> So we would develop a stable base *inside* the more experimental fat
> one, with all the tools currently available in the standard Squeak.
> The communication inside the community would be better, because there
> wouldn't be a decoupling of both developments.

This sounds like a VERY good idea. This will perhaps even develop an "urge" for people to bring
their code up to the standard so that it can be moved into this more "sacred" place in Squeakland.

And developers that are roaming around the image looking for useful stuff will probably start to
favor the codebase in  "IndustrialStrength" especially if they are bulding stuff for deployment
etc.

I like it. It sounds very natural to me. It almost sounds like mimicking the way the GC works! :-)
:-)

> The main problems - which I see here - would have a big social
> component, namely to manage the processes of
> - the definition of the interfaces,
> - the determination of the stability of different modules,
> - definition of responsibilities:
> 	- for groups,
> 	- for persons?

Perhaps there could be a "halfwayhouse" where code can be added by "anyone", probably as a result
from an informal interestpoll on the mailinglist, and then later moved into IndustrialStrength
after a period of time and testing?

And how does this idea of yours stand up in regard to the purposes of the different releases
(2.7/8/9 etc.)?

regards, Göran

=====
Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
icq#:6136722, GSM: +46 709 472152, http://www.bluefish.se
"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you.
Then they fight you. Then you win." -- Gandhi