Question about Squeak plugin for IE/Netscape

Roger Whitney whitney at cs.sdsu.edu
Tue Jun 20 04:03:19 UTC 2000

I am looking for some examples of how to pass information from a Web
browser to the Squeak image running as a plugin.

My ultimate goal is the following. A web browser contacts a server, which
can detect if the web browser has the Squeak plugin. If the browser has the
plugin, the server returns content that starts the Squeak plugin (if it is
not already running) and the browser passes the URL and an array of bytes
to Squeak, which it renders. If the browser does not have the plugin, the
server returns regular html.

I have an http server that returns html or serialized objects based on the
content type accepted by the browser, so I think I have the server side
done. I have run the Squeak plugin in IE, but it is not clear how to pass
information to Squeak from the browser. Any examples/pointers would be
appreciated.

Roger Whitney              Mathematical & Computer Sciences Department
whitney at cs.sdsu.edu        San Diego State University
http://www.eli.sdsu.edu/   San Diego, CA 92182-7720
(217) 328-0824
(619) 594-3535