String hierarchy (was: UTC-8 (was ...))

AGREE at CarltonFields.com AGREE at CarltonFields.com
Fri Mar 17 02:03:33 UTC 2000

> Whatever you do, please, please, please!!! name the abstract > string class String.  I know that it involves extra steps, > but IMHO would be best to keep the name pure.
> > Perhaps:
> > String
>      UnicodeString
>          Utc8String
>              AsciiString
> > Whatever the intermediate classes you use or don't use, push > the primitive string calls into AsciiString.

I like this a great deal in principle, but am concerned about breaking a great deal of code, that is unless String new: automatically generates an asciiString by default unless the string contains non-ascii codes.  I may be overreacting, and admit I haven't thought at all about it.  In particular,

	String streamContents: [...]

seems to risk being broken in virtually every changeset in the world, without some special presumption or treatment.  On the other hand, would making such accomodations break the hierarchy?

Finally, is there an ANSI standard issue?