[ENH] Bob's World Gradient (was: Re: Code Challenge !!!)

Bert Freudenberg bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Fri Mar 24 15:52:27 UTC 2000

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Bob Arning wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 09:27:51 +0100 (CET) Bert Freudenberg
> > <bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De> wrote:
> > >What might be challenging (maybe it's easy) is making the World
> > >be able to have a gradient
> >
> > "Change Set:		gradientWorld
> > Date:			24 March 2000
> > Author:			Bob Arning
>
> Cool! Bob #1 did it again :-)
>
> Now that the main part is done there is just the UI missing ... I'll
> attach the appearance menu extension, along with your changes.

... And now Jim's challenge is in place again - how to make that darn
thing fast? Like when having the rounded world menu dragging the mouse
over the items is really slow. There is a reason why we have FillStyles,
one of them being it's *awfully* slow to build the color ramp so we do it
once and use it thereafter.

Any objections to abandoning GradientMorph which saves us 4 (four!)
instance variables in the World? And while we are at it, how about
requiring that color is indeed a Color? It's extremely ugly to always need
to test. With the new BitmapFillStyle there's no reason for the
InfiniteForm hack anymore ... For example, the tranclucency checks become
much easier (they're still buggy - check dragging a RectMorph with a
gradient fill whose second color is transparent ...).

  -Bert-