Squeak and PalmOS

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Sat Mar 11 16:29:19 UTC 2000

Hi!

> do you have some knowledge about Squeak port to PalmOS 3.x
> (PDAs Palm III, V, VII), please?

There's none.  This question pops up from time to time on this list and it
seems that people agree upon that the way the PalmOS manages its memory
would make it very difficult if not impossible to port Squeak onto it.
Furthermore, Squeak would probably need about 8 MB of memory, so it would
run only on the new fat devices.

Another problem with most palms (which is also the reason I nearly never us
mine, I'm very disapointed about the quality of that nearly unreadable
dark-green on black screen of the older palms) is the screen size of
160x160, which would be very small for doing Squeak development.   The new
color palm if it wouldn't be that expensive, might be an alternative.

If you want to develop software for PalmOS but not on a PalmOS device, you
may want to check out www.pocketsmalltalk.com.

If you want to run Squeak on Palm-sized computers, the larger Windows CE
machines can run Squeak - not fast but at least in color :-)

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust  //  Bevor wir fallen, fallen wir lieber auf.