who's who on swiki

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Mar 2 13:44:32 UTC 2000

Bob Arning <arning at charm.net> wrote:

> I have trouble, too, with my email client (I never got around to finishing the odd-characters-in-the-address mode). His emails arrive here with
>
> 	"G÷ran" Hultgren <gohu at rocketmail.com>
>
> as the sender, where the second character is "Character value: 247". I'm not real sure about whether the double quotes in his name are correctly placed - I'll dig around for the rfc and check.

Internet mail addresses have to be one of the most baroque syntaxes ever
invented and put into actual use.

In fact, this example appears to be legal.  If you have a <foo at bar>
address, then all of the "words" preceding the <foo at bar> are ignored as
commentary.  Here are relevancies from RFC 822 (comments are mine):

   route-addr  =  "<" [route] addr-spec ">"

   mailbox     =  addr-spec
                 /  phrase route-addr

   phrase	  =  1*word                     ; sequence of words
   word        =  atom / quoted-string     ; note quoted-string is an
option

Incidentally, the address parser in Squeak (MailAddressParser) handles
this case.

Lex