anObject acting as aCompiledMethod

Alejandro F. Reimondo aleReimondo at sugarweb.com
Thu Mar 23 23:49:00 UTC 2000

Eric,
Thanks, for your answer, but it sounds like a hacking technique
 for me (yes, 100%Smalltalk, but a hack :).
I feel that adopting the mechanism as a "basical behaviour" in Smalltalk
 (as #doesNotUnderstand:) has the benefit that do not alert the reader
 (hiding the real sourcecode can be difficult to debug).
Another problem that I found is that the lookUp is not done
 by the VM (loosing speed) and the methods implementing the
 lookup can't be patched that way.
I have been working in a transfer mechanism to build
 small sized images (image seeds that grow eating methods
 & classes dynamically from a parent image through a comm channel).
I am thinking in the replacement of all (possible) methods
 by ONLY ONE object (to save image space).
I have implemented a replacement method that uses
 the current context to find receiver,message & arguments;
 the problem can be solved this way; but I think that it is not
 a "clean" implementation. (nothing more clear that not to
 implement it, like when handling #doesNotUnderstand:).

If we adopt a clear & explicit way to handle the problem
 of notACompiledMethod for a selector, the idea
 can be propagated to other Smalltalk providers...
Also we will solve the crash of VM for malformed method dictionaries,
 because they can be debugged.
Now the VM crash and all the objects dead immediately.

Ale.