Timers, Stepping, Co-routines, and Performance in Squeak..... (was Re: Timers & Stepping)

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Mar 23 08:27:07 UTC 2000

> John,
>
>> Mmm which minds me of my work in
>>
>> The migration of the decision about colorMap and sourcePixSize out of
>> the inner loop.
>
> Except that it increases maintenance problems and duplicates a lot of code.
> It's (as always) a question of tradeoffs - but see below.

Ya but it removed some if's in the inner loop that were visited a few
million times in my test case. Bigger buy for those slow 68K based macs. But
the point was to optimize, you sometimes need to think different.

PS It's midnight PST Andreas, and 1:00 AM here in denver. Do Squeakers ever
sleep?

Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6