Upgrading to 2.7 or beyond on FreeBSD

Norton, Chris chrisn at Kronos.com
Thu Mar 16 02:49:51 UTC 2000

Hi Bob.

I'm not positive if this is what you're asking for, but here's the process I
would use to update my image from the Squeak server on the Web.  However, I
warn you that I think there were some issues with the "updates" mechanism in
the 2.4 timeframe (fuzzy memories recall that I ran into some walkback
situations when I tried to update my 2.4b Win32 image.  I ended up just
grabbing 2.5 and starting over -- I know this isn't much help to you!).

Try executing this in a Workspace:

    EToySystem eToyVersion: 'Squeak2.8alpha' date: Date today

(or just 'Squeak2.7', if you don't want to be a test pilot)

Then from the main menu (the World menu under Morphic), choose "update code
from server".  That should grab the latest submitted (and thus sanctioned)
Squeak code.

Welcome to Squeak!

---==> Chris

BTW>  I think Squeak 2.4 hovered around change set number 1358.  An updated
2.7 image is somewhere around change set 1762 and the test pilot 2.8alpha
image is up to 1919.  Thus, it may take you quite a while to install the
updates from the Web server.