Celeste encoding (was: Duplicate messages in Celeste)

Bert Freudenberg bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Mon Mar 13 08:29:10 UTC 2000

On Sat, 11 Mar 2000, Lex Spoon wrote:

> > PS: I'll sent a changeset soon that makes Celeste use iso8859-1 encoding
> > internally so it is more attractive for us non-English-natives ;-)
>
> Just to clarify, it's probably good if Celeste uses Squeak's encoding
> "internally", but then converts to/from iso8859-1 when it sends stuff on
> the Internet.

Actually I meant what I wrote. If I get a mail it should be stored as-is
in the database - that's what I mean with "internally", and that is what
Celeste already does quite well :-)

The conversion should IMHO only happen in the UI. Currently, it uses
isoToSqueak and the Squeak default font for displaying, but it would well
be possible to use a specially encoded font for this. Also, this way it
would be possible to display kyrillic or greek or whatever charsets.
"Don't ever munge original data"

  -Bert-