Squeak on minimal Linux (was: Yet Another DynaSqueak possibility?)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Mar 25 23:41:51 UTC 2000

On Sat, Mar 25, 2000 at 11:01:21AM -0500, Bijan Parsia wrote:

> This led me to wonder what was the minimum Linux setup for
> Squeaking. I.e., if all I *really* want is a Squeak box, but I *do* want a
> complete Squeak, what's the absolutle minimum  I would need from a Linux
> or BSD setup to make it happen? What would be the hardware requirements of
> such a setup?
>
> Maybe we should have a Squeak Distrubution, which basically contained the
> kernal + whatever else was minimally necessary + Squeak.

It's possible to boot a Linux or BSD system from a 1.2M floppy, so simple
distributions are possible.

The current Unix Squeak port relies on X for its display, so a small
Squeak-on-a-kernel system would want to use a libvga based display
interface (or maybe something different for non-Intel platforms).
I suspect that you could write a replacement for sqXWindow.c in Ian's
Unix support code, and you would be in business.

I have a dim recollection that someone may have already done this a couple
of years ago. Sorry I can't remember who did it.

Dave