LinksWorld Zip file (minor uniqueID bug fix)

Paul Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Sat Mar 11 19:24:22 UTC 2000

Squeakers -

A minor bug has surfaced in LinksWorld when inspecting the uniqueID
field of a widget.

Here is a work around:

LinksUniqueID>>timestamp
  timestamp isNil ifTrue: [timestamp := creationDateAndTime].
  ^timestamp

The problem came up related to some code that supports silently
converting an older way of storing timestamps (using a date and time) to
a newer way (just using seconds). The code was needed in the past when I
saved a world in my image after I changed the underlying representation.
(There's a leftover instance variable there too...)

These uniqueIDs aren't really used yet -- they are intended to support
remote access to a world for multiple simultaneous GUI users where the
server can send transactions to clients to update local copies of a
world. By the way, on the class side of LinksUniqueID is an initialize
method you should ideally run but with your own domain and user name for
properly recording who created widgets and preventing uniqueID
collisions.

-Paul Fernhout
Kurtz-Fernhout Software
Creators of the Garden with Insight(TM) garden simulator
http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com