Morphic as default project

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Tue Mar 14 03:05:17 UTC 2000

	> Yes Dan pointed out MVC is mostly separate we could dispose of it.
	> Here is an opportunity to make changes to the environment and we
	> should seize the opportunity and run with it to better the experience.
	> {Key point to drop MVC or make it a file in, Key point to go with
	> Morphic at the start}

	I think this is overdue.  Shipping the base image with Morphic rather than
	MVC as the default project, that is.  Is there a plan to do this with the
	final Squeak 2.8 release?  (Pretty please?)

Please don't.  The day Squeak drops MVC is the day I switch to VisualWorks
or VisualAge.  At least until Squeak arrives with *good* documentation that
introduces Morphic from the ground to mastery.

	different UI.  Plus there are more UI bugs which have crept into MVC,
	which have been fixed in Morphic, but not fixed in MVC because of disuse.
	(E.g., you can't resize the Method Finder window in MVC.)

PLEASE fix any such bugs in MVC (bugs being defined as discrepancies between
the actual behaviour and *documented* MVC behaviour, *not* as things that
do work the way they used to but would be *nicer* if they didn't).

	I wouldn't necessarily advocate dumping MVC completely from the base
	image, though... it might be nice to have a "Play With Me - 9" which opens
	up an MVC project for folks to play with.  Maybe this could be available
	for awhile in the base image before dropping MVC.  But MVC should
	definitely *not* be the first-impression default project.

I could live with that, as long as MVC is still effectively _there_ without
having to download or install anything different, and continues to work.