"The future of Squeak"

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Sat Mar 11 11:40:50 UTC 2000

Henrik Gedenryd wrote:

>I think Shafer's chapter draft, "The future of Squeak", would be of interest
>to many here. It speculates rather wildly on near-future Squeak
>developments. You would have to judge for yourselves whether you agree.

I glanced over the text and think it describes interesting projects and
overall summarizes what also was told on this list.  That's good.  But it
reads like an official press release (at least I got that impression
because of the ways people are quoted and it is written).  It's probably
personal, but I don't like that style.

My main problem with that text results from that impression:  It makes it
look very official.  IMHO, it should be made clear that this is the future,
Disney (via the Squeak central) has in mind, not neccessarily the future
shared by the whole Squeak community.  Squeak is even more than these great
people have in mind.  It's an open source project and everybody can
contribute; that's important.

Personally, I'm at the moment not interested in 3D or eToys but would like
to have a powerful prototype and development environment which can beat
other systems not because you can create toys or educate children but
because I can use it to construct large applications better and faster than
in other languages.

Perhaps that's not the future Squeak will evolve to (as the future is
always where the money is) but at least one future I'd like to see.

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust  //  Bevor wir fallen, fallen wir lieber auf.