String

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Fri Mar 17 07:19:26 UTC 2000

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:

>   Hi,
>
>   Usually I don't like to write this kind of stuff by
> myself, but I think I have to point out that already there
> is (at least) an attempt to make Squeak be capable of
> multi-byte string and XML parser based on it.

Cool! That's what I needed to know. I am, after all, porting (working on
porting, I'm sure someone at Camp Smalltalk is too) the Cincom
VisualWorks XML validating parser. VisualWorks has pretty extensive
multibyte string support, but part of the point of this exercise is to
make the parser portable across ST dialects. My main concern is to have
something that involves doing the least odd thing wrt to
*something*--Squeak, VisualWorks, or other systems. With my luck, I'll end
up doing something which is odd with respect to *all* of them ;)

>   That includes:
>
>   * automatic conversion of Character and MultiCharacter and
>     vice versa (like Number hierarchy).
>   * Automatic convertion of String to MultiString and vice
>     versa. (though String and MultiString doesn't share same
>     anscestor)
>   * Adding new encoding is (I hope) simple.

This all looks very neat! Thanks for the reminder. I've downloaded the
stuff and will peek at it as I get a chance.

>   * an XML parser (by John Dancun).

I was unclear how far along this is (after all, there's at least two other
parital, non-validating parsers floating about; one of the appeals of the
VW one is that it's validating (though a bit buggy in places right now)).

Thanks again!

For the interested, here's some links:

http://wiki.cs.uiuc.edu/CampSmalltalk/XmlParser+XSL+and+DOM+Level+2
	(The project page at Camp Smalltalk.)
http://wiki.cs.uiuc.edu/VisualWorks/VisualWorks+XML+Framework
	(The framework is available for DLing there!)
http://wiki.cs.uiuc.edu/VisualWorks/Bijan%27s+XML+Framework+Porting+Reports
	(What I've done thus far.)
http://wiki.cs.uiuc.edu/CampSmalltalk/short+report+on+the+VW+5i+XML+Parser
	(A discussion of the VW Parser)