FFI for MacOS-X-Server

Marcel Weiher marcel at metaobject.com
Fri Mar 31 09:35:10 UTC 2000

> From: Henrik Gedenryd <Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se>
>
> you should definitely check my FFI fixes change set (on the
FreeType page),
> once you start using FFI inside Squeak.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

> I haven't had all the changes
> cleared by Andreas, and they are based on my guesses about how FFI is
> supposed to work, but some of the issues confused me a great deal.
Among
> other things one bug led me to believe that declarations worked quite
> differently than they really do.

Yes, things are definitely not very clear yet, at least to me.

> Good luck, Marcel. BTW, does SqC know that you are in effect doing
their
> work for free in developing the next version of the Mac VM?

Who knows...I just hope they figure out quickly what an amazing
platform for OO MacOS-X is.  Many of the things that are starting to
be handled in a sort of ad-hoc fashion have pretty polished
implementations in X.  Portability must be preserved, of course, but
it wouldn't hurt to base such mechanism on a model that has been
refined over 10 years (and where the creators weren't sissy in
sacrificing backwards compatibility).

Having the semantic gap between Squeak and its substrate minimized
also clears up quite a bit.

Marcel