String

Yoshiki Ohshima ohshima at is.titech.ac.jp
Fri Mar 17 08:08:10 UTC 2000

  Hi,

> By the way, why does String and Multistring not share a
> common ancestor?

  At that time, I avoided VM modification and kept String
class (mostly) untouched.  I wanted to put MultiString under
String, but variableByteSubclass cannot have a subclass
which is variableWordSubclass.

  Creating AbstractString (or other name) and putting String
and MultiString (or some others) under it seems nice.
Allowing multibyte characters as selector (or as Symbol) is
the (mostly political) problem.  As someone wrote, assigning
an integer for each "Symbol" and modifying VM in this way
seems clean.

  From my experience, most of the existing Squeak code can
be kept untouched.  For example, I did manage that
TextOnCurve worked for Kanji characters virtually no
modifications.  (But Character comparison using == broke,
like as Number)

  -- Yoshiki