[2.8alpha][GOODIE][FIX] Client Server Framework (very basic)

Benoit St-Jean lamneth at aei.ca
Fri Mar 31 01:17:05 UTC 2000

"Richard A. O'Keefe" wrote:

>         Well, actually, if you check the following
>         http://machaut.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/WEBSTER.sh?WORD=rendezvous
>         you'll find that (in 1913, at least) the plural of "rendezvous" was actually
>         "rendezvouses", although it was considered rare even then.  Just goes to
>         show how languages evolve.

"rendez-vous" is actually a verb in french and also an expression which is called a
"locution" in french.  It is "invariable" which means that the plural form as well as
the singular form are the same.

The verb is "rendre" at the 2nd person of the plural which is "rendez".  The "vous" part
is the 2nd person of the plural which is equivalent to the you pronoun (plural).  The
verbe tense is what we call "impératif" in french which is used to denote an order.  We
could translate the verb "rendez-vous" in english in "Rendez-vous au stade olympique à 3
heures" by "Be at the Olympic Stadium at 3 o'clock".  Technically though, "rendre" means
"go to".

Technically, just as we do in french, you should use the "original" spelling of the noun
or verb just as we do with foreign words (such as latin) and not accord it OR accord it
the way it should have been in it's "native" form.  For instance, the plural of
"maximum" (a latin word) is "maxima" (in latin) and not maximums as it "should" have
been according to french rules...

Hope this helps...

An ex French litterature teacher now converted to Smalltalk programming speaking here...

P.S.  Sorry for my poor written English...