Widgets and Books for Squeak

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Fri Mar 24 17:05:39 UTC 2000

Hi John,

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 11:17:24 -0500 John_Gardner at dmr.ca wrote:
>Your response does seem to imply something. Does the entire Squeak community
>believe that MVC is a waste of time and that the default UI should be Morphic?

MVC a waste of time? Maybe a few feel that strongly. Some actually prefer it. Others, like myself, much prefer Mophic and simply spend little or no time looking at MVC.

Morphic the default UI? I suspect a majority would favor that. Some changes are in place or nearing completion that should make it easy to run an image with one UI installed and the other simply not loaded.

>Am I wasting my time investigating the extension of MVC to include a set of
>Widgets? Should I instead focus my energies upon Morphic and collaborating on
>developing the aforementioned "packaging" tool?

That would certainly be my choice.

>I sense that the Squeak community wants Squeak to become to languages what Linux
>is to operating systems. To do this, packaging, Squeak-to-Squeak communication,
>XML support and documentation are 4 key areas to be addressed.

There is work afoot in all of those areas by a variety of individuals and groups, some more visible than others. Depending on your particular needs, some of these may be available now or with minor work. XML, for instance: there are a couple of parsers already and applications that use them do exist. How far that is from your vision is something only you can answer.

Cheers,
Bob