Swiki: no-cache and <pre>

Bert Freudenberg bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Fri Mar 3 08:30:04 UTC 2000

On 2 Mar 2000, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Mark> I thought that we've been doing Pragma no-cache for months, even with
> Mark> the PWS Swiki before the conversion to Comanche Swiki.  Our purpose
> Mark> is to deal with the recent version of the page, as Lex points out.
> Mark> But as Randal points out, we may be doing the wrong thing there.
>
> Mark> We're certainly willing to fix that -- I didn't engage a debate
> Mark> because I simply didn't realize it was an issue!  If you and Randal
> Mark> can suggest a different set of metas/pragmas/whatevers to use to
> Mark> achieve the goal of not caching edits and showing most recent
> Mark> versions of pages, we'd be happy to include those!
>
> Well, see my mail. :)
>
> Just add:
>
>         Last-modified: <now>
>         Expires: <now>
>
> You can add "Cache-control: no-cache" if you're really paranoid.  Look
> at http://www.web-caching.com/mnot_tutorial/ for more info.  It's very
> nice.

Actually, there was a discussion about a year ago. Since then, the swiki
sends pages with these three header lines:
	Expires: 0
	Pragma: no-cache
	Cache-Control: no cache
In PWSSwiki this was only done for "edit" requests, because it is fatal
if you edit an old version. In ComSwiki, these three lines are always
sent. Hopefully, the next ComSwiki version will support a real
"Last-modified" header as well as the "HEAD" method.

  -Bert-

PS: Beware +++ totally off topic +++ MS "innovates" at
	http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2000/02-28w2k.asp