[Win32] VM Update for 2.7/2.8 - OT

Jerry Jackson jrj at channelpoint.com
Fri May 26 14:33:19 UTC 2000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Mike Thomas [mailto:miketh at ptmnet.com]
> Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2000 8:09 PM
> To: squeak at cs.uiuc.edu
> Subject: Re: [Win32] VM Update for 2.7/2.8 - OT
>

> > Unstable in what way?
>
> </FILTERS_ON>

... Description of many problems ...

Ouch! I guess in fairness I ought to point out that I only do Java
development using the cygnus tools -- mostly bash, make, and the
file utils.  I also run bash within emacs so the command line editing
is not an issue for me.

>     If going for Unix compatibility, you need the Unix
> compatibility library
> which immediately brings in the GPL which stuffs up
> commercial activities
> and even open source.

I hadn't really clued in to this issue until someone else mentioned
it on the list since I haven't been using the cygwin library in
my own code.  This is probably reason enough to avoid going this
route for Squeak.

> I want Squeak to feel "Native, Not Unix" (NNU Squeak?)

That seems reasonable.  I guess I'm still not quite past my initial
rush from years back: (Ahhhhh.... emacs, a real shell, forward slashes :-)

Thanks for the data.

--Jerry