Palm drops 68K in Favor of ARM - Implications for Squeak?

John.Maloney at disney.com John.Maloney at disney.com
Mon May 1 13:37:55 UTC 2000

Thanks for passing along this news.

The Palm has long been a natural Squeak target, but the low performance
Dragonball processor made it unattractive. Worse, the Palm OS memory model
made it difficult to get a single contiguous block of RAM in which to
put Squeak's object heap. An ARM processor (StrongARM or otherwise)
would address the first problem and I suspect that Palm would also
address the second problem when they migrate to the new processor.
Applications such as MP3 players and speech recognition would be
difficult to write using the current Palm memory model, and I don't
think ARM architecture offers any particular incentives to use small
memory chunks the way the 68K architecture does.

Meanwhile, the new Compaq Aero based on the StrongARM sounds like it
might make an excellent Squeak platform. There are pdf files at:

  ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/handhelds/pocketpc.pdf
  ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/handhelds/famchart.pdf

	-- John