Pluginized VM on Linux?

John.Maloney at disney.com John.Maloney at disney.com
Tue May 30 23:14:11 UTC 2000

At 12:45 PM -0700 5/30/00, Tim Rowledge wrote:
>In message <Pine.LNX.4.10.10005302126560.11735-100000 at balloon.cs.uni-magdeburg.de>
>          Bert Freudenberg <bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 30 May 2000, Tim Rowledge wrote:
>
>> > I don't think Ian has had time yet to build a sources package to put on
>> > his site,
>>
>> Actually, there's a Space Cadets Release at
>> 	http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/
>>
>> > and there are a few changes that are needed that haven't made
>> > it to the update stream yet
>>
>> I guess he has not yet included these then ...
>Correct - those source build a functional VM but with everything builtin
>and several of the source files incapable of being used to produce
>external modules; the linker hides many small sins. Ian has my suggested
>fixes.

Tim,

I don't think it is essential that all primitives can be externalized
on all platforms. Remember, even if the primitives are linked in, when
they are built using the new code, then we can:

  a. convert the Squeak side to using named primitives versus numbered
     ones, and

  b. when (a) is done, anyone who wishes to can build an external
     set of primitives to replace those built into the VM

Surely it should be up to the maintainer of each platform's VM
the extent to which they choose to break the VM into pieces?
I greatly prefer to have all the basic primitives built right into
the VM on the Mac, because that simplifies the logistics of managing
multiple versions of the VM. Yet I know the Acorn OS makes it easy
to manage applications packaged as sets of DLL's, so the opposite
approach makes sense there. What's nice is that your collaboration with
Andreas has given us the maximum freedom to choose the packaging
of the VM that makes the most sense on each platform.

	-- John