Better ANSI Compatability

Eric Scharff Eric.Scharff at Colorado.EDU
Mon May 15 20:01:09 UTC 2000

(Apologies in advance for speaking out of ignorance.)

I've tried with limited success to follow some of the discussions of
improved ANSI Smalltalk compatibility in Squeak.  I am definitely all for
approaches that will make it easier to interoperate with other Smalltalk
environments.

(That said, I'm also not a fan of the poor decisions that some language
standards committees often make with languages, and would hope for
enlightened language features over universally compatible ones...)

But my real question is, knowing nothing of the ANSI standard, what things
from standard (ST-80 derived) Smalltalks do I have to un-learn to be a
good ANSI programmer?  I still make frequent reference to the blue book,
but feel like I should have an awareness of the tasks for which that would
not be a good idea.

-Eric