Playing AIFF sounds

David N. Smith (IBM) dnsmith at watson.ibm.com
Sun May 7 18:18:23 UTC 2000

At 0:07 -0700 5/7/00, John M McIntosh wrote:
>on 5/6/00 14:06, David N. Smith (IBM) at dnsmith at watson.ibm.com wrote:
>
>> At 13:28 -0400 5/6/00, Bob Arning wrote:
>>> Dave,
>>>
>>> I just had some insight into the timing stuff I sent you yesterday - the
>>> unexplained pauses only happened when I had another application running in
>>> the background on the Mac. Is there anything else running on your PowerBook
>>> when you hear the repeated sounds?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Bob
>>
>> Hummm, yes: Eudora Pro, a phone book program, but typically no network
>> connection. Eudora 'should' be quiet and uneventful. I'll try to run 'bare'
>> and see what happens.
>>

> > Dave
>...SNIP...
> >

>Of course the other application gets control via getnextevent to have a
>slice of time for processing. If the sound buffer doesn't have sufficient
>bytes in it then you'll get a pause or the replay? until control returns to
>squeak and you get more bytes into the sound manager. Mind this is
>speculation on my part but it would be interesting to know how many msecs
>are buffered versus how long that getnext/waitnextevent takes. Say for
>example what if that Endora app sucks up 750ms once and awhile?
>
>BTW I was unable to create the condition on my PB500
>
>--
>John M. McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>

John & Bob:

I've tried removing all that I could, Eudora, Stickies, Norton Utilities and Virus, (forgot about the system updater), and had no net connection. It made no difference. Repeated notes can happen as often as every few seconds.

There is something that rattles the disk every so often, but it is irregular and seems to happen only when I'm doing something. Just now I stopped and waited as I was typing this and it didn't happen. As soon as I started to type it did. I have that little norton disk activity utility installed; it shows icons at the far left of the menu bar when disk access happens, different ones for read and write. It shows the disk activity to be reads! I did hear a few where the icon did not show any activity.

This seems to be new for OS9 (at least compared to 8.1 which I ran last on a PPC9500/200).

Dave
David N. Smith
IBM T J Watson Research Center
Hawthorne, NY