OS like GUI for Squeak

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Sun May 21 14:14:19 UTC 2000

At 08:27 21.05.00 -0400, Pennell, David wrote:

>BobsUI will let you tab from field to field in dialogs.  It looks like it
>pretty simple to add shift-tab support to move back through the fields.

But this only works for UITextMorph objects, no other components.

>Oops - can we see events like shift-tab from the vm?  This might make
>a nice place to start work.

On Windows, this works.  You may ask want to the global Sensor for
leftShiftDown in UITextMorph>>keyStroke: and then write something similar
to #tabOutOf:

>Just how hard would it be to make an OSWindow, perhaps analogous to
>SystemWindow?  I would be happy if it only supported morphic.

I think, this is the way to go.  Actually, I'd first try to support more
than one DisplayScreen.  Then you could deal with resize, activate, iconify
and so on events.  I also wouldn't care if it only works for Morphic,
although I don't see any advantage in this.

The problem is, that even you'd have than more than one screen, Squeak has
only one global source for polling for events.  Therefore, before we can
support multiple screen, we probably need to add a general way to get
(key,mouse,window,timer) events from the VM to the image level.

At the moment, there're 322 references to the global Display and 204 to Sensor.

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust  //  Bevor wir fallen, fallen wir lieber auf