Face down, nine-edge first (wherein all is revealed)

David N. Smith (IBM) dnsmith at watson.ibm.com
Thu May 11 23:20:12 UTC 2000

At 15:12 -0700 5/11/00, demiourgos at smalltalk.org wrote:
>On Wed, 10 May 2000, Peter Crowther wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>The only thing more bizzare than that I can imagine would be watching
>an implementation of Squeak run on a physical realization of a true
>Turing Machine, complete with ruled squares bearing 1 or 0, and a
>tape running back and forth.....   (;-)}
>
>  --jtg

Well, I was going to do it but I seem to be having problems. I got the roll of TP running down the hall and through the living room, and managed to convince the dog not to lay on it, but:

* some kind of automated take up is needed so the tape can be longer than my house, but how?

* Since I can't roll up pebbles, I tried using postit notes as ones but they are hard to get loose from the TP afterwards.

* There is no display interface on TP; how do I see when the bit blit is through? Maybe I buy a set of 256 differently colored dots and make a matrix with the TP. Uh, no...

Anyone know if a turing machine can have a keyboard???

Damn, the dog was sniffing the Turing machine and sneezed as only a 100 pound dog can. Now I have a wet spot and no wet spot detector. Maybe he can live on the back deck for a few days...

Dave

Nope, it's not going to work; my wife loves the outdoors and loves the dog but was not willing to live on the back deck. I hope I can get this tent up before it rains much more. She and the dog are inside, nice and dry.

:-)
David N. Smith
IBM T J Watson Research Center
Hawthorne, NY