www.squeakworld.com!

Göran Hultgren gohu at rocketmail.com
Fri May 26 14:04:39 UTC 2000

Hi fellow Squeakers!

This is a call for assistance.

I plan to launch (in all humbleness though!) an "e-zine" about Squeak and directly related
technology (Comanche, Siren etc.) - in short, a place for all us Squeakers to hang out. :-)

I would like to run this site in a "Squeakish spirit" - community driven, open and fun! And I need
all your help to do this, but there is no real pressure, we do it for ourselves and not for anyone
else. And we start small. The .com part is mostly because most people will try that domain first!

Done so far:

1. I have actually laid my hands on a suitable domain, squeakworld.com! Beat you all to it, didn't
I? :-)
2. I have a suitable machine standing at home, a "normal" PC, do not remember the specs right now,
but it will do.
3. I have a sponsored (by us - Bluefish :-) connection for it.
4. I have posted this "call for assistance" to the Squeak mailinglist for getting help with
producing content (articles, columns, whatever!) and administering the site. I hope that some of
you will help me!

To do next:

1. Install and configure Debian (because it is "The Right Thing To Do" :-) on the machine with SSH
for administration.  I haven't used Debian much (RH and Mandrake mostly) but would like to.
2. Install and configure Comanche(!?) - it would be nice to run the site in Squeak, right?
3. Install and configure CVS for all document handling on the site. Later on we could probably use
CVSTProject (CVS in Squeak) to be able to do everything using Squeak.
4. "Harden" the machine according to some security howtos and configure backup.
5. Put the machine on the net.
6. Hand out accounts on the machine to all interested co-editors/co-webmasters.
7. Put together the site. My motto in this respect is keep it simple, follow HTML standard and use
very little "cool technology" as JavaScript, DHTML etc. It should be viewable in Scamper!
8. Publish issue "numero uno" in a "protected" url that we will post on the list. This way the
community can criticize it and we can change it before we unleash it on the world. :-)
9. Splash! The world goes crazy over The Mighty Mouse and Java goes away and everyone lives happy
ever after!

Timeschedule (ahem):

Well... todo-steps 1-5 should be solvable in say 3 weeks time, and I am starting on it right now.
After that we will just have to see.

So... what do you think? Any takers? Criticism, ideas? Thoughts on content or technology? We all
have 3 weeks to gather a team and put together a plan. All ideas are welcome - I will try to
harvest them and post a summary later.

regards, Göran

PS. Perhaps I am crazy - but it sure will be fun to try this out! DS

=====
Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
icq#:6136722, GSM: +46 709 472152, http://www.bluefish.se
"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you.
Then they fight you. Then you win." -- Gandhi