Playing AIFF sounds

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon May 8 04:53:18 UTC 2000

on 5/6/00 10:28, Bob Arning at arning at charm.net wrote:

> Dave,
>
> I just had some insight into the timing stuff I sent you yesterday - the
> unexplained pauses only happened when I had another application running in the
> background on the Mac. Is there anything else running on your PowerBook when
> you hear the repeated sounds?
>
> Cheers,
> Bob

Hi, just for fun I got a slower machine to play with, and loaded up a few
background apps. Internet explorer, metrowerks IDE, Sherlock. Then recreated
the problem. I then fiddled with both the number of calls to HandleEvent and
changed the code to use WaitNextEvent with a variety of tick counts.

Sad to say I couldn't find a reasonable combination. Certainly if you change
the rate at which you call WaitNextEvent then you explore interesting things
like outrunning the keyboard when typing.

I think we're back to deferring interrupts/events at critical points when
doing sound if possible? Can't say I've looked at the code to see how
feasible this is. Just back to the expectation of a 100ms delay once in a
while when servicing the sound manager, or avoiding it, which ever is
easier...

Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6