Logo in Smalltalk

Jarvis, Robert P. (Contingent) Jarvisb at timken.com
Mon May 8 20:38:19 UTC 2000

I get this strange picture in my mind...

	Picture a parking lot near LA.  It is early morning.  The birds are
singing (well, OK, coughing a lot and croaking hoarsely - this is, after
all, LA).  The dew glistens on the Astro-turf.  The light of the morning sun
girds itself for another day of valiant battle against the forces of
Partially-Burned Hydrocarbons and Ozone.

	Time passes.

	Cars begin to fill the parking lot.  But instead of getting out of
their vehicles and proceeding into a building for their day's work, the
people in the cars open their windows, grab network cables from conveniently
located stands, and plug the cables into their portable computers.  Closing
the windows of their vehicles, the people begin work.  To keep cool, they
keep the engines of their cars running so they can use their air
conditioners.  Occasionally a car will overheat, and its vexed owner will
start hunting up and down the rows of cars for a kind soul who will share
their vehicle, network line, and air conditioning while the overheated
vehicle cools down.  When face-to-face meetings must be held the
participants pile into limousines which cruise the lot for just such
occasions.  Telephone calls are made from car to car by cell phone.

	In his Cadillac in the corner of the lot the Manager sits.  As he
watches the activity in the lot he smiles, but is at the same time puzzled.
"Y'know", he thinks to himself, "I just don't see what advantage there is to
this telecommuting thing".

:-)

Bob Jarvis
Compuware @ Timken