Proposal3: Make $_ a valid identifier character

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Wed May 31 00:08:23 UTC 2000

	>Not true.  Model 33 teletypes were still in use in the 70s (left arrow
	>and up arrow, NOT _ and ^).  DEC-10 Prolog, developed in the late 70s,
	>was initially upper-case-only because printers with lower case letters
	>were not sufficiently widely available at that time; by 1979 lower case
	>was the default.

	The unavailability of lower case printers, of course, letters doesn't
	support your argument that technology of the times dictated the
	choice of using lower case for space separation.

Once again, I do wish people would read and think before posting.
That particular fragment *obviously* does not and is not intended to
support that claim.  It was, in context, obviously intended to refute
(and succeeded in refuting) the counterclaim that ASCII-67 was universally
adopted.  While not intended as such, the long delay before we could rely
on lower case supports the converse claim: that languages like PL/I and
Burroughs Algol and (early) DEC-10 Prolog used low-line separation because
they couldn't use baStudlyCaps.

As far as I have been able to discover from the Alto manuals I've been
able to dredge up, the Alto character set really *was* ASCII-63.
*That* is the basis of my claim that Smalltalk used baStudlyCaps because
it had to.  Smalltalk was implemented on Altos.  There was a series of
Smalltalks; I've seen a Smalltalk-72 manual.  (Not that I remember anything
about it.)