[Mac] Interim VM for 2.8beta

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at gate.net
Thu May 25 12:22:29 UTC 2000

At 5:59 AM -0400 5/25/2000, JArchibald at aol.com wrote:
>=> 5/25/00 1:35:53 AM, werdna at gate.net =>
><< Attached find the new LargeIntegers primitives plugin for MacOS.
>Install it and be awed by the speed. >>
>
>Andrew--
>
>The attachment to your mail come through with filename 'Unknown' on both Mac
>and Win worlds; this is most likely the fault of AOL's mailer, but that's the
>beast I sleep with. I assume it has to be named correctly (and probably have
>the resource fork established correctly) to be able to use it in Mac world.

If the file came in unmangled, it would need to be renamed
"LargeIntegers" and placed in the same directory as the VM.  You
could confirm by doing

	[10000 factorial] timetoRun

which should take on the order of 11000 ms on a bondi blue iMac.  If
it goes on much longer, you know that you are computing things "the
old way."

VM Mavens?  Is there a straightforward way to test whether a Plugin
is available to Squeak?

	Smalltalk listBuiltinModules

fails on my iMac using Dan's new VM.

The LargeIntegers module includes an undocumented "am I here" module,
thus you can add the following to the class side of Integer:

checkIfCModuleExists

	<primitive: 'primCheckIfCModuleExists' module: 'LargeIntegers'>
	^false

and then check for the plugin as follows:

	Integer checkIfCModuleExists

This should have been obsoleted by the listBuiltinModules primitive,
but at least for now, apparently not.
Andrew C. Greenberg		acg at netwolves.com
V.P. Eng., R&D, 		813.885.2779 (office)
Netwolves Corporation		813.885.2380 (facsimile)
www.netwolves.com