Freshmeat for Squeak

Henrik Gedenryd Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se
Fri May 5 06:57:31 UTC 2000

Lex Spoon wrote:

> Overall, what do people think of this?  Can we axe the Projects, Tools,
> and Packages pages, and replace them with a single "All Projects" page
> (probably renamed to "Projects") ?  People who have actually used
> Freshmeat before, is this anywhere close to useful compared to those?
> :)

In general, categorization doesn't work very well in settings such as this
one that don't have an "editor". It requires one person's idea only of how
to organize things. The very least we would need was that the hierarchical
structure of the Swiki wouldn't be an emergent result of everyone's
additions, but the result of a coordinated overall design decision
(reapplied every now and then). For comparison, imagine a collaborative
Roget's thesaurus with every contributor using their own categorization
scheme.

Therefore the search function becomes crucial. I've had great problems with
locating things on the Swiki by search. As I remember, "truetype" got zero
hits, perhaps because the search is case sensitive. I've also had this
problem with other search terms.

And it wouldn't be a bad thing if this would also search the auto-generated
fixes page too. Actually, if I should give a realistic estimate, I think
this kind of projects page would become useful only if auto-generated in a
similar fashion.

Henrik