Face down, nine-edge first (wherein all is revealed)

Peter Crowther Peter.Crowther at IT-IQ.com
Wed May 10 07:34:47 UTC 2000

> From: Michael Donegan [mailto:invader at alumni.rice.edu]
[...]
> The strangest machine I programmed was an NCR Century 100. It
> only had 18 (count 'em) instructions, half of those were
> branches.

Did anyone ever take a look at the One-Instruction Computer?  It has a
single opcode, which is something like
subtract-and-store-at-this-location-then-branch-to-that-location-if-not-zero
(from memory, and it could well be wrong; it's over 10 years since I saw the
3rd year project to build such a beast).  Apparently all standard
instructions can be stitched together from this... the software equivalent
of a NAND gate!

Alan?  Dan?  Fancy building Squeak on a machine that only has one
instruction? :-)

		- Peter