Face down, nine-edge first

Donald MacQueen dmacq at erols.com
Mon May 8 17:30:15 UTC 2000

>>  We had a big
>> black felt-tip pen
>>
>> But you also know that a good program should run even if the cards are
>> out of order ;-)

> Big card programs are self-sorting.  We had some nice card suitcases
> for transporting cards.  They would hold a couple of thousand cards, and
> usually did.  I watched a guy two off of the counter, one in each hand.
> The latches weren't and about 4,000 cards went everywhere.  We all ran
> and he got to sort them him*self*.

> -david

Or you could program the keypuch to punch your program
deck sequentially in columns 73-80. Then you could run
them through a sorter if you ever dropped the deck. Did
I ever do it? No. It's good to have a little danger in
your life when it's 3am and you're waiting for the tape
to tape master file update to finish so you can print
your special forms and then spend until dawn bursting
and decollating them ...

--
Donald

Donald M. MacQueen