Stepper

Doug Way dway at mat.net
Mon May 1 22:57:35 UTC 2000

(Responding to an old thread...)

On Sun, 13 Feb 2000, Terry Raymond wrote:

> Stefan Matthias Aust wrote:
> >
> > At 13:58 13.02.00 -0700, David Farber wrote:
> > >
> > >i agree. a "debug it" command on the pop-up menu would be
> > really handy.
> >
> > I second this.  This would save an "self halt" in the
> > expression and also
> > omit the click on "debug" in the notifier before the debugger opens.
> >
> > Does anybody know how far away this would be from real
> > breakpoints (in the debugger and other code panes)
>
> No comparison.  To do a "debug it" you would compile the expression
> then open the debugger and do an automatic send into the expression.
> A self halt would not appear in the expression because the debugger
> was opened before the expression began execution.

I was actually just looking into implementing a "debug it" menu item in
Squeak, but I'm still not all that familiar with the Compiler/Debugger, so
I think I need a few more hints...

By tracing through Compiler>>evalute:in:to:notifying:ifFail:, I've figured
out how to generate a CompiledMethod from a do-it string via the
Compiler/MethodNode, but the Debugger seems to expect a MethodContext
instead.  (See Debugger>>openContext:label:contents:.)

Is there a way to get the context from the CompiledMethod, to begin
executing it, in other words?  (or is there a different method I should be
using when opening the Debugger?)

Also, how do I do an "automatic send into the expression"?

Thanks for any tips,

- Doug Way
  EAI/Transom Technologies, Ann Arbor, MI
  http://www.transom.com