idle speculation (was: Face down, nine-edge first)

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at disney.com
Sat May 13 04:59:36 UTC 2000

Jecel --

Remember that BASIC on the Altair didn't do much. I don't think that a
Smalltalk type system would have to be much larger if it "didn't do much".
Peter Deutsch's original interactive PDP-1 LISP from the early sixties did
do quite a bit and it was implemented in about 2000 instructions on a 4K
(18 bit word) PDP-1. Smalltalk-72 did quite a bit and it ran quite well in
about 16kb + the display memory. It would be interesting to see how well
the "page long" interpreter for ST-72* would do if all that were added were
a few auxillary classes.

Of course, old PARC hands would also point out that the Altair was quite
irrelevant since the Alto at PARC started running two years earlier in
1973, and there were quite a few of them by 1975. All personal computers
today are like the Alto, none are like the Altair. The hobbiest PC movement
was kind of a red herring and dead end (and one could say that 8-bit micros
and most of the software that was put on them led several generations
astray from better ways to approach personal computing. Those bad defacto
standards are still holding back progress).

* there's a version of it sketched in the "Early History of Smalltalk"
chapter (in an appendix) in the HOPL II book.

Cheers,

Alan

-------