[ENH] Confirmation Dialogs

Russell Allen russell.allen at firebirdmedia.com
Tue May 16 10:59:33 UTC 2000

Hi all,

Inspired by a look at the MacOS X dialogs which are attached to windows,
not free-floating, I hacked up a quick changeset as a GUI experiment.

What it does is overload the #confirm: #inform: and #confirm:orCancel
messages when sent to Morphs so that instead of a free-floating menu
popping up near the hand a dialog pops up covering the morph.

This seems to have a few good effects:

(1) It becomes very apparent which confirmations are system modal, which
are only modal at a SystemWindow level, and which are modal at a morph
level.  Thus when trying to close a SystemWindow with unsaved changes, I am
not locked out of the rest of the system while trying to decide whether to
continue;  on the other hand when quitting the image without saving the
dialog covers the whole screen, making it pretty obvious that I have to
answer the question!

(2) I think it looks pretty funky.

Please save your image before filing this in, as it has had little testing!
I am using a 2.8a image with all updates.  The three gifs will need to be
in the image directory.

What do people think?  Is this a massive retrograde step?  Is it better
then the current system?

:)
Russell