[ENH] Splash screen

Bert Freudenberg bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Thu May 18 11:51:24 UTC 2000

On Tue, 16 May 2000, Stephen T. Pope wrote:

> I've been away from Squeak for a spell, but wanted to get this out to
> you all for comment. The enclosed change sets do several things:
>
> 1) Make a splash screen that does something cute before dropping the
> users into Squeak. Comments on, or improvements to, the animation are
> welcome (see DisplayScreen splash). I have three main questions (aside
> from aesthetic issues):
>
> a) How can I get the start-up animation to hook in to the VM so the
> user's screen simply fades, rather than flashing a small window, then
> the default-sized window, then the fade. It'd be nice for Squeak to come
> up full-screen by default and to "fade" in and out.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this ... Do you want the VM to
initialize the Display bitmap with the host screen contents? That would be
cool, indeed!

> b) How can I get a form from a TTSampleStringMorph?

form := TTSampleStringMorph new
	font: TTFontDescription someInstance;
	string: EToySystem version;
	imageForm.

> c) Any ideas on how to get this to scale well to small screens and
> slow machines?

The TT text can be scaled. The animation can be realtime based (store
time, draw, delay until time + 50ms, repeat).

Other comments:

- Fading works only in 8 bit display depth.
- You don't need to load the mouse from file:
  logo := ScriptingSystem squeakyMouseForm.

-- Bert