[GOODIE] 's Tree and TextOrganizer

Stewart MacLean stingray at paradise.net.nz
Mon May 8 09:53:13 UTC 2000

Hi, me again,

Attached are change sets for:

- ObjectExplorer Fixes and Changes
- Tree which serve as the domain model of
- TextOrganizer

File them in in that order.

The bumph follows.

Hope this is useful - get organized!

Cheers,

Stewart

PS Thanks to all Squeakers for making this such a dynamic and interesting group. Unfortunately, due to the hard cold realities of earning a crust, I'm going to be retraining in Java over the next couple of months. Down under, Smalltalk is only heard of, very rarely used in anger :(
PSS But I'll still be Squeaking!

"Change Set:		Text Organizer 1.0
Date:			7 May 2000
Author:			Stewart MacLean
				stingray at paradise.net.nz

The text organizer application provides a way of arranging chunks of text in a hierarchical fashion.

Enjoy!

Prerequisites:
- ObjectExplorer
- Object Explorer Fixes And Changes
- Tree

Optional:
- Doug Way's Windoze tree style with + and -

Usage:

To open a fresh organizer evaluate:

TextOrganizer open.

On the hierarchy list pane:

- left click in toggle area expands/contracts current item
- shifted left click in toggle area expands/contracts current item and all its subitems
- right click in toggle area expands/contracts current item and all siblings
- right click on item text gets menu

Menu Options:

add
interpose above
interpose below
delete
delete with parent adopting children
cut
paste below
paste before
paste after
copy
rename
find
find next
sort children
sort children recursively
load
save

Bugs:

I've been using it for a while, however testing only proves the presence of errors:)
Send any you find to me.

History:

1.0 Initial release"

"Change Set:		Tree 1.0
Date:			7 May 2000
Author:			Stewart MacLean
				stingray at paradise.net.nz

This changeset provides a framework for Tree data structures.

It is a simplified version of the Knowledge System Corportation's tree hierarchy. Thanks to KSC.

It is designed to allow for different tree implementations. "

"Change Set:		Explorer Fixes and Changes 1.0
Date:			7 May 2000
Author:			Stewart MacLean
				stingray at paradise.net.nz

This change set fixes a couple of bugs and decouples the handling of events in the SimpleHierarchicalMorph from the application model (ObjectExplorer). This was done in preparation for reuse of these classes by the TextOrganizer goodie. The following is an extract from TextOrganizer comment....

It is inspired by the VisualWorks workspace organizer and Bob Arning's object explorer.

I was able to leverage Bob's good work on the explorer (I didn't have time to do the hard
bits myself!). As I wanted the organizer's hierarchical list to behave differently I have had
to separate out the behaviour of SimpleHierarchicalListMorph. I have changed
SimpleHierarchicalListMorph<<mouseDown: event onItem: aMorph to delegate it's behaviour
to it's model. The main behviour change is to allow for a 'very deep recursive' toggle.
This is appropriate for the organizer as the subtrees are bound, whereas with the explorer,
depending on what you were looking at, one could conceivably end up expanding with all
the objects in the image - ouch!

In order to be able to find all the siblings of any item I found that I had
to add a parent backpointer to IndentingListItemMorph.
(The current withSiblingsDo: only includes remaining siblings in the chain).

I also fixed a couple of bugs with the explorer:
- left clicking on an expanded item (in toggle area) where a child is selected, still leaves a highlight when it contracts
- right clicking on an expanded item (in toggle area) causes a walkback

Enjoy!
"