Playing AIFF sounds

David N. Smith (IBM) dnsmith at watson.ibm.com
Tue May 9 00:17:39 UTC 2000

At 21:12 +0200 5/8/00, Karl Ramberg wrote:

>> >We recently had a similar problem on my G3 Powerbook where sound was messed up both in QuickTime and in Squeak.  Aibek Musaev solved by tweaking the sampling rate in the Sound control panel.  Seems that if it's set too low, bad things happen to playback.
>> >
>> >Mark
>>
>> Mark:
>> I don't see a sampling rate dialog in my Sound control panel, but the G3 PowerBooks seem to change every few weeks. Were you doing recordings?
>> Dave
>
>In Sound controll panel click on the bar with an arrow up and down and select sound out. Set
>the rate to the sampling rate of your sounds.
>If you have monitors and sound controll panel, click on the sound button and selcet the appropriate rate.
>
>Karl

Karl:

My Sound control panel has a list widget at the left which contains four items and space for many more. It lists:

	Alert Sounds
	Input
	Output
	Speaker Setup

When I select Output there is a second list widget at the top right (very wide) which lists one item: Built-in. I can set the volume or mute the output.

I see no sampling rate.

About Sound... in the Apple menu shows this to be version 8.1.2.

I have a new machine which came with 9.0 pre-installed. Maybe the new Sound control panel is in 9.0.4?

Dave
David N. Smith
IBM T J Watson Research Center
Hawthorne, NY