Face down, nine-edge first (wherein all is revealed)

Edward P Luwish eluwish at uswest.com
Tue May 9 20:06:24 UTC 2000

Well, maybe a 1620 port - someone in the Pacific Northwest has one that
apparently works.  This machine would do a great job with LargeIntegers, since
the word length was limited only by the size of the core memory (20 to 60k,
depending on the depth of your pockets) and the fact that you needed room for
both operands (and possibly the program, too).  You can even redefine arithmetic,
which was table-driven!  The Model 2 had an adder, but the Model 1 used both
multiplication and addition tables.  You could get disk drives for these
machines, and the two-pass FORTRAN-IID (D for disk) compiler was actually pretty
good.  The 1620 was supposed to have been the "scientific" counterpart to the
"business" 1401.  The 1620 was my introduction to computers (1968) - does anyone
else remember this wonderful machine?

Ed