[Win32] VM Update for 2.7/2.8

Raab, Andreas Andreas.Raab at disney.com
Thu May 25 05:35:30 UTC 2000

> Please also try and minimise dependency on the Cygwin library
> and associated tools, particularly Bash, as they are unstable
> on Win 98 even with B20.1 and Mumit Khan's latest updates.
> I myself prefer VC++ even though I support the general principles
> behind open source and GNU.  Hopefully you'll be able to
> use mingw under a standard DOS/Windows shell to do the build.

That's really what I'm using. Mainly because there are legal problems when
using Cygwin (whatever uses cygwin.dll is automatically GPLed - ouch!). And
having MSVC around is a lot nicer for debugging (I never got used to GDB and
it really sucks if it comes to virtual memory handling). So far, there are
really only three things required for the build - GCC, GMAKE and GAWK (all
available as mingw versions). And a command shell. Of course.

  - Andreas