Carrying preferences around

Roel Wuyts rwuyts at vub.ac.be
Wed May 3 08:48:04 UTC 2000

One of our researchers at the lab (Tom Tourwe) does the following:

He changed the methods Preferences class>>#initialValuesA" en Preferences
class>>#standardInitialValues, and made a changeset of this change. Filing
in this changeset updates his preferences.

While this is a crude system, it helps our development, since each week
everybody starts out with a fresh image containing the latest changes from
everybody. This could help while a better system is under way.

PS: There seems to be a problem with this approach in the sense that some
preferences are lost after file-in. This indicates that other places update
the preferences. Tom's approach did not take that into account. We should
think of a real singleton user factory that holds these dispersed settings,
and that we can just serialize to disk.

--
Roel Wuyts                    Programming Technology Lab
rwuyts at vub.ac.be              Vrije Universiteit Brussel