SDI-Squeak database interface

Peter Crowther Peter.Crowther at IT-IQ.com
Tue May 23 15:12:04 UTC 2000

> From: Stefan Matthias Aust [mailto:sma at 3plus4.de]
[...]
> Actually, with VisualWorks and Oracle, I noticed that it is
> even faster to
> internally replace short strings and numbers and then use
> normal statements
> instead of using Oracle's prepared statement with bind vars.

Yes, but Oracle's brain-damaged in a number of areas.  Any chance of native
stored-procedure support a la Sybase (and MS SQL Server)?  This uses a
separate call interface to specify the stored-procedure name, and then
passes parameters explicitly.  No parse overhead.

> At 09:15 21.05.00 -0400, Pennell, David wrote:

> >I have been thinking that it would also be useful to provide
> a separate
> >SQL layer from a DB interface (provider?) layer.
>
> Why?  I consider SQL as the lowest level.  Can there anything
> be even more basic?

ISAM.
Text files.

Microsoft's SQL Server separates its storage engine from its query engine,
for example.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, I wrote an efficient VW<=>Sybase
interface using DB-Library.  Just to warn you that if I make any comments
about improving efficiency, you should ignore them because I'll almost
certainly be sacrificing generality!

Other than stored-procedure support, Stefan, your interface looks fine to
me.  How would you signal errors?

		- Peter