Proposal3: Make $_ a valid identifier character

Pennell, David DPennell at quallaby.com
Sun May 28 18:52:05 UTC 2000

I don't know what the right answer is, but I really hate
having my _'s converted into left arrow's everywhere in
Squeak, code panes, file lists, etc.  Its almost as much
fun as looking at Squeak code in an external tool and
seeing the assignment operators show up as underscores.

I don't see how we will ever be successful at wide spread
acceptance of Squeak if we co-opt the underscore character.

How about:

1.  Change the fonts to restore underscore and move <-
    to another slot
2.  Make := be the assignment token
3.  Add a preference to display := using the <- glyph.
4.  Add a preference to map keystroke _ into := (which
    would display according to 3)

Stefan - thanks for opening this one up.  Its been on my
mind lately, but I was too chicken to write it down.

-david