Squeak - a short overview (Bookmorph)

Torsten.Bergmann at phaidros.com Torsten.Bergmann at phaidros.com
Mon May 8 18:29:32 UTC 2000

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>Some comments:
>* If you use Squeak's gzip, anyone could open the morph
>* The page controls should be in the "fewer controls" state
>* The download link should point to http://squeak.org/#download
>* "double click that link" Double click?

A new version is available at
http://software.freepage.de/cronos/squeak/SqOverview.morph.gz
using the gzip format, with fewer controls and a second download link.
I also changed all the double click notes to a simple click (I'm too much
influenced
by Micro~1 environments - sorry).

Peter McHale
>Would you consider putting it in the eGroups Files directory for future
reference?

I dont know the eGroups Files directory - but you can add a link if you
want. Use
the new link above - If I update the book I will always use this file so the
URL
will always be the same.

Conrad Taylor wrote:
>Hi, thanks for sending this out to the group and I hope
>this and/or a similar tutorial is added to Squeak base
>image in the near future.

This will bloat the standard image (bad!) - but we could provide a workspace
for downloading
such books. Someone interested in implementing a library morph for managing
a hierarchical list
of books ? (Similar to the TextOrganizer)

>Also, I would like to see a class message called 'example' or something
similar
>that provides an example of how to use each Smalltalk class in Squeak.

Nice idea

>In short, I would like to see more tutorials go into Squeak.

That's why I started to create the book. If we get the permissions from the
one or the
other author of a Smalltalk book we could recreate books as BookMorphs and
provide
them for downloading. Or we could create a seperate "Squeak - In a nutshell"
by ourselves.
We can also provide the "beginners workspace" from Ivan Tomek as
downloadable book.

For the ones who are interested: there is another book at
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/925

Bye
Torsten