Proposal3: Make $_ a valid identifier character

Bert Freudenberg bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Sun May 28 20:51:22 UTC 2000

On Sun, 28 May 2000, Hannes Hirzel wrote:

> wrote:
> >>
> >> PROPOSAL
> >>
> >> For better ANSI compatibility, I propose to allow _ (actually it's
> printed
> >> as <- with the default font in Squeak) in identifiers.
> >What a horrible idea. To hell with ANSI compatability!
>
> What is horrible about the idea of moving Smalltalk code more easily forth
> and back between the different dialects of Smalltalk?

It just looks horrible in Smalltalk code. Actually, it doesn't look like
Smalltalk at all. It looks sooo C.

If anyone is going to port code it's no big deal to convert _x into X.
Besides, I've never seen such Smalltalk code.

-- Bert

PS: I might change my mind if including an underscore requires the method
to be a FFI callout ;-)